EnergyOMNI's Perspectives|Philippines Targets December 1ST For Recalibrated GEA-5 Auction
EnergyOMNI's Perspectives|Philippines Targets December 1ST For Recalibrated GEA-5 Auction

Edited by EnergyOMNI
The Philippines suspended the offshore wind bidding process under its fifth Green Energy Auction (GEA-5) on July 4 to recalibrate the auction framework. At the end of July, the Department of Energy (DOE) announced an updated indicative timetable, with the formal auction now tentatively scheduled for December 1, 2026.
The Philippines launched its first dedicated offshore wind auction in November 2025, covering fixed-bottom offshore wind projects with a total auction capacity of 3,300 MW. The projects are targeted to enter commercial operation between 2028 and 2030, while the Green Energy Auction Reserve (GEAR) price was set at PHP 11/kWh (approximately NT$5.96/kWh). Although the bidding process had already commenced, the DOE announced its suspension in early July, stating that the government needed additional time to recalibrate the auction framework by addressing implementation issues that could affect project delivery. These include port infrastructure readiness, permitting requirements, environmental costs associated with port development, and potential disruptions to global supply chains.
In its latest update released at the end of July, the DOE said it will work with several government agencies through September 2 to validate the country's readiness in terms of port infrastructure, environmental requirements, and grid integration. The participating agencies include the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA), the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Philippine National Oil Company (PNOC), the Independent Electricity Market Operator of the Philippines (IEMOP), the National Transmission Corporation (TransCo), the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP), and the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC). The findings will be consolidated into a Department Circular, which will serve as the basis for the revised policy framework. The DOE aims to finalize the circular by August 24 and publish it in early September.
The DOE will also issue a supplemental Terms of Reference (TOR), which will be released for public consultation and is expected to be published on October 2. Once the revised TOR is approved, the department will release an updated GEA-5 auction schedule, stakeholder advisory, and bidding guidelines. The auction process is expected to resume in the fourth quarter, with the formal bidding currently planned for December 1. Bid evaluation, issuance of Notices of Award, and Certificates of Award are scheduled to take place between December 2, 2026, and June 30, 2027. The DOE emphasized that the timetable remains indicative and may still be adjusted depending on inter-agency reviews, stakeholder consultations, regulatory approvals, and publication requirements.
In early June, the DOE told local media that nine companies had qualified to participate in GEA-5. According to the department, the combined proposed capacity of the nine shortlisted projects totals approximately 9.3 GW, significantly exceeding the 3.3 GW capacity available under the auction.
Several offshore wind projects continue to advance despite the auction delay. These include the 901 MW San Miguel Bay Offshore Wind Project, jointly developed by Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) and ACEN Corporation. In addition, a consortium comprising Seawind Asia, Stream Invest Holdings, and Triconti ECC Renewables is developing three offshore wind projects: the 450 MW Frontera Bay Offshore Wind Project, the 600 MW Guimaras Strait Offshore Wind Project, and the 600 MW Guimaras Strait II Offshore Wind Project.
More related articles